Becoming proficient in operating these machines is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
Overview in brief
This course will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to operate the machine safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This course offers two certificate options: operating either a tracked or wheeled machine depending on your needs.
The finer details
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a loading shovel safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Plant Safety and the Law
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Travelling and Maneuvering the Machine
- Machine Operation
- Securing Loads and Safe Transportation.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you need to prove your ability in safely operating a loading shovel.
As you’ll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the provider.
What will be covered?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Identify the appropriate sources of information relevant to safe plant operations
- Identify and explain the main components and operator controls
- Perform all pre-start and operational checks
- Configure and set up the machine for operation
- Identify potential operating hazards
- Start, drive and park the machine safely
- Travel over level, rough and undulating ground
- Manoeuvre the machine in restricted spaces
- Prepare the machine for travelling on a public highway
- Perform safe operating and loading procedures
- Handle different types of material and ground conditions
- Sort and place materials
- Identify the dangers associated with excavating and loading
- Perform safe operating procedures for changing attachments
- Handle different types of front-end attachments
- Identify the dangers associated with changing attachments
- Understand legislative requirements when transporting engineering plant on the public highway
- Make preparations for loading and unloading duties
- Load a loading shovel onto a trailer safely
- Understand the principles of load restraint
- Unload a loading shovel safely off a trailer.