At a glance…
Training (with Assessment) Competence with Modules
Classroom and practical demonstration and assessment
Becoming proficient in lifting operations and understanding the roles and responsibilities is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small.
Overview in brief
This course will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to operate the machine safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This course offers a range of certificate options for the most common crane attachments depending on your needs.
The finer details
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a lorry loader safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Safe Lifting Operations and the Law
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Machine Operation
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you need to become proficient in safely operating a lorry loader.
As you’ll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
What will be covered?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and MOMs related to the equipment operations and the work to be carried out
- Define the roles and responsibilities of those involved in lifting operations
- Identify the hazards associated with lifting operations and describe the control measures
- Interpret and apply the information within plans, charts, safe systems of work, and manufacturer’s operator’s manuals (MOMs)
- Explain the use and limitations of lorry loaders and lifting accessories
- Identify and explain the purpose and function of crane components and controls
- Explain the inspection and maintenance requirements for cranes and lifting accessories
- Conduct pre-use checks and routine maintenance procedures on lifting equipment
- Explain the load rating terminology relating to lorry loader operations
- Evaluate the load and select the appropriate safe working procedures for the operation
- Select the most appropriate lifting equipment and techniques for the operation
- Organise and communicate with others the sequence in which work is to be carried out
- Employ clear methods of communication and signals to direct safe movement of the load
- Demonstrate how to safely and effectively operate the crane and lifting accessories
- Operate the lorry loader in accordance with given work instructions and safety parameters
- Conclude the operation, safely shut down the device and make the site safe
- Perform the relevant post use checks and ensure the lifting equipment is securely stored